Bologna Porta Lame
About Porta Lame
At the very end of Via Lame is this monumental gateway to the ancient city of Bologna which dates back to the XIII century. It would have formed part of the third and last wall of defence for the city.
Due to environmental damage and naturally the passing of time it was then reconstructed in 1677 in a project led by Agostino Barelli.
It’s possible to walk under the arched gateway and even up to the huge wooden doors. Even though the locks are quite primitive the size and weight of the doors would have been enough to fend off most attacks.
Around to the side of the building are the two bronze statues, the design of Luciano Minguzzi in 1952 and probably made by the companyBrustolin & Fabris. The figures are dedicated to the partigiani and were actually part of a larger monument that also consisted of an equestrian statue dedicated to Benito Mussolini. The whole monument was located in the Littoriale, also known as the Stadio Comunale.
In fact, Porta Lame was the location for a clash between the partigiani and Nazi-fascists on the 7th of November 1944. Two wall mounted plaques also recall those who died here.
As a last note the statues were restored in October 2003 in memory of Clara, Alba, Lina and Gina Samoggia.
Tiziano Costa – Marco Poli, Conoscere Bologna, Bologna 2005, p220.