Bologna San Giovanni Battista dei Celestini
About San Giovanni Battista dei Celestini
San Giovanni Battista dei Celestini
This church and the monastery of the Celestine Order next door were constructed in 1369 thanks to the generosity of Antonio dei Galluzzi.1 It was reconstructed in 1535. In 1765 the façade was renovated on the designs of Francesco Tadolini who also added the steps up to the front door.
Displayed in the first chapel on the left here is this work of art of the Blessed Irene who is tending to the wounds on St Sebastian. Mastellata was responsible for the painting which dates to early to mid 1600’s.
In the second chapel is a painting by Gianbattista Bertusio from 1644 illustrating the Archangel St Raffael accompanying the young Tobia. It originally came from the suppressed church of San Michele Arcangelo (St Michael the Archangel).
On display in the third chapel is this vivid work of St Mauro healing the sick by Anna Mignani which dates to the 19th century.
Frescoes from 1714 are conserved on the vault having been executed by Giacomo Boni and Giacinto Garofalini. Equally impressive is the area around the main altar and the presbytery. The angelic sculptures above the painting by G. Sabbatini were the work of the master sculptor Giuseppe Mazza. Other decorative works here were completed by Giovanni Antonio Burrini and Enrico Hafner. Paintings by Marcantonio Franceschini, L. Massari and Mastellatta are also on display.
The sacristy, not shown in this footage, was designed by Tadolini, and boasts plasterwork by his brother Petronio, A. Gamberini and P.M Bugati from 1765.
In the first chapel walking away from the main altar is this painting of Saints Anna, Gioacchino and Mary as a child, by Anna Maria Crescibeni 1829.
On the 21st of March, 1797, the Celestine priests left the convent after they were suppressed by Napoleon’s decree. However, the church continued to be used for services even after the suppression of the Celestine Order, and in 1824 regained the parish status that it had been granted in 1482.2
1 Sassatelli, Giuseppe; Govi, Cristiana Morigi; Ortalli, Jacopo; Bocchi, Francesca. Atlante Storico Delle Città Italiane Emilia Romagna Bologna, Bologna I, Bologna 1996, p190.
2 As above.