Bologna Tramvie di Bologna
About Tramvie di Bologna
Tramvie di Bologna
These tracks are witness to the story of Bologna’s electric trams which first operated in 1904.
This building next to it therefore was the head office for transport whereas today they are the offices of the local council in this area called Naville. Inside is just like many other offices so there’s little of any significance relating to its past.
Outside once again are more interesting features to notice. There are stone plaques on the wall dedicated to those who worked for the then company called ATM and who died as it records here: ‘doing their duty’.
Next along displays names of those fallen during WWII while another two after this one reveal the names of those who died from WWI – women incidentally replaced men on the trams as they were called for military service.
Around the side of the building are the words ‘Tramvie di Bologna’ mounted on the façade. Trams were eventually faded out of service beginning 1927 when buses were introduced although it wasn’t until shortly after the war when they finally disappeared.
At the corner of the building are various permanent sculptures by Alcide Fontanesi. They represent ‘The cycle of Genesis’ and were produced by him between 1997-98. Tracks continue along the side of the sculptures leading towards the red-brick buildings.
This is where the trams would have completed their journey. Some of them have been converted into a museum only opened at the weekends. On January 1st 1975 the ATM ceased to exist and Bologna’s transport association became known as ATC, Azienda Tasporti Consorziali.