Predappio Piazza Cavour
About Piazza Cavour
Strictly speaking, this village is Predappio Alta, meaning that the town of Predappio further down in the valley took its name from here. Many centuries ago, the peddle-stoned road to the right of this video footage was the main road into Forli over this mountain range.
This quaint little square called Piazza Cavour can still be a busy thoroughfare with traffic and tourists passing through all year round. The centre of the piazza is home to this fountain in the shape of a bunch of grapes.
The monument was commissioned by Benito Mussolini’s brother Arnaldo in 1927 to celebrate the Sangiovese grape and the wine making tradition here which traces its roots back to the 14th century.
A fascist symbol used to decorate the bottom of it but later restoration work took it off once the fascist era came to an end.
In the evenings, a few locals populate the piazza often sitting around the fountain chatting away but don’t expect to understand them since they will be more than likely be speaking in dialect.