Rimini City Museum
Iguidez Tags: archaeological finds rimini, history of rimini, Il Centino rimini, Il Guercino rimini, rimini Giovan Battista Costa, Rimini Guido Cagnacci, rimini masterpieces, Rimini museum, rimini Renè Gruau, Simone Cantarini rimini
About City Museum
This museum is located next to the Church of Suffrage, built by the Jesuits (1719-1740) in honour of San Francesco Saverio.
From 1797 to 1977 this was used as a hospital, first military and then civil, whereas now it houses numerous exhibits of local historical-artistic heritage. The displays follow in chronological order from the formation of the territory to the modern day.
There are more than 1500 works in 40 galleries on a total of 3,000 square metres with the number of exhibits eventually increasing as new sections are scheduled to be opened.
In the ancient cellar of the Museum is an exhibition on the extraordinary story of Rimini, from prehistory to the end of Late Antiquity. The archaeological section continues on the ground floor, dedicated to the Imperial Rimini between the II and III century, with displays of splendid mosaics from the Domus Diotallevi palazzo, as well as sculptures, ceramics, plaster decorations, coins, glass items, bronzes and last but not least the exceptional exhibition of the surgical instrument equipment from the “Domus del Chirurgo” in Piazza Ferrari, next door. The archaeological section gives a view of Rimini from its origins to the Middle Ages, presenting a flourishing and peaceful city during the Roman Empire, a period which was tragically interrupted by the first barbarian invasions.
On the ground floor too, is an area dedicated to Renè Gruau, a famous contemporary fashion designer from Rimini, who died in March 2004.
In the garden-courtyard are Roman Lapidaries, which contain an epigraphic collection of about one hundred Roman inscriptions.
The first and second floors house the Pinacoteca picture gallery with works dating from the Municipal era to 1900 including masterpieces from the fourteenth century Rimini school.
On the first floor are frescoes, ceramics and paintings on wood from the 15th and 16th centuries that tell the story of Renaissance art: works commissioned by the Malatesta family, lords of Rimini, such as Giovanni Bellini’s famous Pietà and the Pala by Domenico Ghirlandaio.
A 14th century fresco called “the Last Judgement”, which once hung on a wall over the triumphal arch in Sant’Agostino Church, can be admired in the conference room. The painting is the work of artists from Rimini who were perhaps led by Giuliano and Giovanni da Rimini.
Also on the first floor of the building is the Medieval section which contains 300 finds, sculptures, illuminated codices and other works of art, such as some important masterpieces of the 14th century Rimini school and of Malatestian Humanism.
On the second floor art and sculpture produced in Rimini between the 17th and the 19th centuries are on display together with the works of famous artists including Guido Cagnacci, Il Centino, Il Guercino, Simone Cantarini and Giovan Battista Costa .